If you’re hitting up the checkout line at Target and wondering if you can pay with Apple Pay, the answer is: it depends. The question of whether or not Target takes Apple Pay is a little more complicated than just a yes or no.
In fact, depending on your device, where you’re shopping, and how you’re paying, you may have different experiences. We’ll be breaking down the particulars of Target’s acceptance of Apple Pay so that you can be sure to make an informed decision when deciding if and how to pay with your iPhone. Whether it’s at checkout in-store or online, we’ve got all the info you need here.
How to Use Apple Pay at Target
Yes! Target accepts Apple Pay for in-store, online, and app purchases. So if you have an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, or AirPods with a supported card on your device, you can pay at the register with just a single tap. Even better? You don’t need to add Target as a merchant in your Apple Wallet—it’s already there!
Ready to use Apple Pay at Target? Here’s what you’ll need:
- An eligible iOS device that supports contactless payments
- An eligible debit or credit card added to your Apple Pay wallet
- The latest version of the Target mobile app installed on your phone
Once you’ve got everything ready, here’s how to do it:
- When you get to the register (or checkout page), open your Wallet app and select the card you want to use.
- Place your iPhone close to the payment terminal and wait for a confirmation sound (for Mac users, authorize the transaction with Touch ID).
- Finish your purchase by entering any necessary information like email address or postal code.
- You’re done! Enjoy shopping at Target with nothing but your phone.
Benefits of Using Apple Pay at Target
If you’re already an Apple Pay user, you’ll be familiar with the many advantages it brings – it’s super simple and secure to use, and you can use it to make payments with just a touch of your iPhone or Apple Watch.
Using Apple Pay at Target offers the same benefits – and more. With contactless payments enabled, shopping is lightning-quick – all you need to do is hold your iPhone near the store’s payment terminal. Bypassing the checkout line altogether means no more queuing or fumbling through your wallet for change or a card.
Plus, if you’re a RedCard holder, using Apple Pay at Target earns you all the usual 5% discounts. You don’t have to enter your card details every time either; once you have added your RedCard details to Apple Wallet and linked it to Apple Pay, all your transactions will enjoy 5% savings automatically.
What Stores Accept Apple Pay?
You might be wondering if Target accepts Apple Pay. The short answer is yes, Target does take Apple Pay—and it’s actually quite easy to use. For example, all you need to do is hold your device over the payment terminal, then authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID. You don’t even have to open an app or wake your display; as long as your card information is in Wallet, you can pay with a single touch of your finger!
It’s important to note that not all stores accept Apple Pay. In fact, according to recent statistics, there are more than 13 million stores (including restaurants and retailers) in the U.S. that accept Apple Pay and other contactless payments. Some of the larger chains include Staples, Walgreens, McDonald’s, Panera Bread and Whole Foods Market — but the list is always growing.
In addition to Target stores accepting Apple Pay, you can also use it directly in Target’s app or on its website when shopping online. This means you can easily make secure purchases from anywhere—all without having to leave your home or enter any card details!
Setting Up Apple Pay on Your Device
If you want to use Apple Pay to pay at Target, you’ll need to make sure that it’s installed and set up on your device first. Setting up Apple Pay is a breeze and can be done quickly from the Settings app on your Apple device.
To get started:
- Open up the Settings app on your device.
- Tap “Wallet & Apple Pay”
- Tap “Add Credit or Debit Card” and follow the prompts to add a card from your bank
- Once you have added a card, you should see it in the list of cards in Wallet & Apple Pay settings. If you do not see it, double-check that you entered all of the information correctly and try again
- You’ll be asked to verify your card; if you see this message, open the Wallet app and tap your card, then follow the prompts to verify it
- To use Apple Pay in-store, just hold your device within an inch of the contactless reader with your finger on Touch ID or Double-Click the Side Button for Face ID when prompted
Once your device is set up with Apple Pay, simply visit Target and make sure to select it as a payment option when checking out!
Security and Privacy With Apple Pay
Are you concerned about security and privacy when it comes to using Apple Pay at Target? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Whether you’re using your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, it’s easy to use Apple Pay at Target — and it’s secure.
When you use the payment method with these devices, your payment remains secure and private because your credit or debit card number isn’t stored in your device or on the merchant’s servers. Instead of your card details being shared each time you buy something, a unique, one-time-use code that is generated by Apple acts as a proxy for your card information.
Plus if you do find yourself needing more protection from fraudsters, most major cards are equipped with added security benefits like:
- Zero fraud liability guarantees
- Password protection for online transactions
- Fraud alerts when suspicious activity is detected
- Real-time transaction notifications
So next time you go shopping at Target, be sure you feel secure knowing that Apple Pay guarantees the highest level of privacy and security for all of your transactions.