You’ve been playing Pokemon Go for a while now and maybe you’ve grown tired of your team – or your friends are on a different team and you want to battle and trade with them. Whatever the reason, you’ve decided it’s time for a change. Here are the steps to switch your Pokemon Go team:
- First, you’ll need to reach level 5 in the game. Once you’ve gotten to level 5, you unlock the ability to join one of the three teams: Team Instinct (yellow), Team Mystic (blue), or Team Valor (red). If you’re already past level 5, you’re all set for the next step.
- Next, open up your Pokemon Go profile. Scroll down to the ‘Team’ section. Tap the ‘Change Team’ button. This will bring up a warning that changing teams is permanent and you’ll lose your team contribution points and have to start over. Make sure you really want to switch before proceeding.
- Finally, choose your new team. The team selection screen will pop up showing the three teams. Tap the team you want to join. Your team will now change, your avatar will update to match your new team colors, and you’ll have to start earning points and leveling up your reputation with your new team.
While it can be tough giving up your points and status, if switching teams will make the game more fun again and allow you to play with your friends, the temporary setback will be worth it. The most important thing is enjoying your Pokemon Go experience, so pick the team that will motivate you to get out there and GO!
Changing Teams: What You Need to Know
So you’ve decided to change your team in Pokemon Go. While you can’t directly transfer your Pokemon to a new team, you can still change teams by starting over. Here’s what you need to know before making the switch:
Loss of Progress
Unfortunately, changing teams means losing your progress, items, Pokemon, and Pokedex entries tied to your current team. You’ll be starting fresh, so make sure you really want to commit to a new team before proceeding.
- Your Pokemon, items, eggs, and candy will be reset. You’ll have to catch and evolve new Pokemon.
- Your level and battle rankings will be reset. You’ll have to level up and battle again to increase.
- Your Pokedex will be wiped clean. You’ll have to rediscover Pokemon to fill it up again.
- Your team leader will change. You’ll have to meet and impress a new team leader.
New Team Benefits
While changing teams means sacrificing your current progress, there are benefits to consider with a new team:
- Different gym and Pokestop control. A new team may control gyms and Pokestops in your area, allowing you to participate more.
- New team leader and story. You can experience a different team leader’s backstory and guidance.
- Fresh start. For some players, the challenge of starting over and building up a new profile is fun and reinvigorating.
How to Change Teams
If you’ve made peace with losing your progress and are ready for a new team, here’s how to make the switch:
- Go to the Settings menu in Pokemon Go.
- Scroll down to “Change Team” and tap it.
- Tap on your desired new team: Team Instinct (yellow), Team Mystic (blue), or Team Valor (red).
- Tap “Change Team” to confirm.
- Your team will now be changed, and you can start catching Pokemon for your new team!
Make the choice that’s right for your gameplay and enjoyment of Pokemon Go. While changing teams requires sacrifice, a fresh start with a new team can also lead to new adventures and discoveries. Choose wisely!