What Are Transform Pokemon?
Transform Pokemon, known as shape-shifters, are pocket monsters with the ability to change forms. They morph between different shapes and types, gaining new strengths, moves, and appearances.
- Ditto is the classic example. This purple blob can transform into any Pokemon it sees. While Ditto may not be the strongest battler, its flexibility makes it useful in many situations.
- Eevee is another popular shape-shifter. This cute, fox-like Pokemon can evolve into flareon (fire), vaporeon (water), jolteon (electric), espeon (psychic), umbreon (dark), leafeon (grass), glaceon (ice), or sylveon (fairy) depending on factors like environment or items. Each evolution brings different stats, types, and movesets.
- Castform changes forms based on the weather. In normal conditions it looks like a gray puffball, but in rain it becomes a water type, in sun it turns into a fire type, and in hail it transforms into an ice type. The weather-based transformations allow it to make the most of its environment.
- Some Legendary Pokemon like Giratina, Kyurem, and Necrozma also have multiple inter-changable formes with different appearances and types. These formes often play into the Pokemon’s lore and backstory.
Shape-shifting certainly adds an exciting element of surprise and strategy to Pokemon battles and collecting. You never know when a Transform Pokemon may change and gain an advantage! Finding and mastering these adaptable pocket monsters is key to becoming a Pokemon master.
The Different Types of Transform Pokemon
When it comes to Pokemon that can transform, there are a few different types you’ll come across:
- Ditto: The most well-known transform Pokemon, Ditto can take on the appearance and moves of any Pokemon it faces in battle. Ditto is great for breeding too, since it can mate with almost any Pokemon.
- Mew: The mythical Pokemon Mew is said to contain the DNA of all Pokemon and can learn any move. Mew transforms by using Transform during battle, but it also has its own set of psychic-type moves outside of transformation.
- Castform: Castform is a unique Pokemon that transforms based on the weather. In sunny or clear weather, it becomes a fire-type. In rain, it becomes a water-type. In snow or hail, it becomes an ice-type. Castform remains a normal-type Pokemon otherwise, but its appearance and moves change with the weather.
- Kecleon: Kecleon can blend into its surroundings and become invisible, but it is also capable of transforming its type based on the color of nearby objects. For example, if Kecleon stands near a red object, it will become a fire-type. If it’s near water, it becomes a water-type. Kecleon’s type-changing ability is called Color Change.
- Rotom: Rotom is an electric-ghost Pokemon that can possess certain household appliances, causing it to transform into new forms with different typings and moves. For example, Rotom Frost has possessed a refrigerator and becomes an electric-ice type. Rotom Wash possesses a washing machine and becomes electric-water. And so on. Rotom transforms by entering different machines.
With so many options, transform Pokemon can add an interesting twist of surprise to your Pokemon team! What’s your favorite shape-shifter?
Most Popular Transform Pokemon in the Franchise
Ditto is probably the most well-known Transform Pokemon. This purple blob has the ability to transform into any Pokemon it encounters. When you catch a Ditto, it only knows one move called Transform. Once it transforms into another Pokemon, it also gains that Pokemon’s moves, stats, types, and ability. Ditto is a very useful Pokemon for breeding since it can breed with almost any Pokemon.
Mew is a rare Psychic-type Transform Pokemon that was hidden for years. Mew has the DNA of all Pokemon and can learn every TM and HM move. Mew transforms by changing its physical form and the moves it knows. In the Pokemon movies, Mewtwo was created from Mew’s DNA. Mew transforms more for battling, while Ditto usually transforms for breeding.
Castform is a unique Transform Pokemon that changes form based on the weather. Its normal form is a gray blob, but in harsh sunlight it transforms into a red orb with sunglasses, in rain it becomes a blue water droplet, and in hail it turns into a white snowball. Each form has a different type – Fire, Water, and Ice respectively. Castform’s transform is directly linked to its surroundings, unlike Ditto and Mew which transform at will.
As you can see, Transform Pokemon come in many shapes, sizes, and forms. Some transform to gain a strategic advantage in battle, while others transform for breeding or adapting to their environment. The Transform ability remains an intriguing and mystifying part of the Pokemon world.